Instant Pot Vegan Chili – Oil-free Kidney Bean Red Lentil Chili. Easy Flavorful Bean Lentil Vegetarian Chili Vegan Glutenfree Nutfree Soyfree Recipe.
It was hot last week to give a glimpse of Summer, and then we hit a cold front again. So here we are enjoying a bowl of chili for dinner! Curries, stews, chili, Dal are all season meals in my house. A hearty 1 Pot meal with veggies and beans and flavors of choice!
This chili has veggies, red lentils and kidney beans. The lentils add a great texture and also thicken the chili really well. Add whichever beans you like to make up the bulk. I like to use chipotle and ancho chilies for flavor. Use dry or canned chipotle pepper to preference.
This chili is Simple, hearty, quick and Delicious.
More Instant Pot Recipes
- Instant Pot Mushroom Risotto. No standing and stirring needed! GF
- Instant Pot Vegan Butter Chickin(soycurls). GF – Creamy, Delicious
- Japanese Veggie Curry. GF
- Potato Chickpea Spinach Soup. GF
- Instant Pot Lasagna Soup with Red lentils. – So Easy
- More Instant Pot Recipes!
Tips for an amazing chili in the instant pot every time
- Cook the veggies and tomato on saute for a more rounded flavor and texture.
- Add just enough liquid for the lentils for a thick chili as water does not evaporate while pressure cooking.
- Add texture ingredients such as chopped mushrooms, beefy crumbles, walnuts. Add a blend of different mexican dried chilies, powdered or flakes for flavor variations.
- Toppings are not optional 🙂
Print10 mins25 mins9 mins35 mins
Instant Pot Vegan Chili – Oil-free Kidney Bean Red Lentil Chili. Easy Flavorful Pressure Cooker Vegetarian Chili. Vegan Glutenfree Nutfree Soyfree Recipe.
Course: Main Course, Soup Cuisine: Gluten-free, Mexican, Vegan Gluten-free Keyword: instant pot chili, red lentil chili, vegetarian chili Servings: 3 Calories: 306 kcal Author: Vegan Richa
- 1/4 cup water or broth
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1 jalapeno or 1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 red bell pepper or green bell pepper chopped
- 15 oz can kidney beans or 1.5 cups cooked , or use black beans
- 1/2 cup dry red lentils quick cooking lentils
- 2 tsp ground cumin or a combination of cumin and coriander
- 1 to 2 tsp paprika I use a combination of smoked paprika and sweet
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp chipotle chili flakes or powder or ancho chili powder
- 1 to 2 tsp chili powder blend chili blend not pure chili powder, optional
- 1/2 tsp each garlic powder and onion powder
- 1 bay leaf optional
- 28 oz diced tomato
- 1 to 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 3/4 tsp salt (less if using salted broth and beans)
- 1.5 cups water or veggie broth
- lemon juice to taste , cayenne or black pepper for heat
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- avocado , hot sauce, vegan sour cream, chopped onion, tortilla strips, other toppings
Add water or broth to the instant Pot on Saute when hot. Add onion, garlic and jalapeno. Cook for 2 minutes. Stir frequently. Add another tbsp water to deglaze if needed.
Add the veggies and a good dash of salt and mix. Cook for another 2 minutes. (At this point you can add the tomatoes and cook them until tender for 3 to 4 mins, stirring occasionally. This adds a deeper flavor profile or follow next step for quicker).
Add the kidney beans, red lentils, spices, tomato, tomato paste, salt and water and give it a good mix. (You can also add other cooked beans at this point. Add 1/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts for texture).
- Close the lid and pressure cook for 8 to 9 minutes(manual hi). Let the pressure release naturally. Mix in 1 to 2 tsp lemon juice and half of the cilantro.
Taste and adjust salt, heat and flavor and add more if needed. Serve hot garnished with chopped onion, jalapeno, cilantro, avocado, hot sauce.
For variation: Add a pinch of cinnamon and all spice with the spices.
Use a 1/3 cup red lentils and add a can of black beans for beanier chili
Saucepan: Follow steps 1 and 2 in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add tomatoes, spices and tomato paste and cook until tender, mash the larger pieces. Add beans, lentils, salt, 2 cups water/broth, mix well. Partially cover and cook for 25 to 30 minutes.
Nutrition is 1 of 3 serves
Nutrition FactsInstant Pot Vegan Chili – Oil-free Kidney Bean Red Lentil Chilli Amount Per Serving Calories 306 Total Fat 1g Sodium 682mg Potassium 1416mg Total Carbohydrates 57g Dietary Fiber 21g Sugars 13g Protein 18g Vitamin A Vitamin C Calcium Iron * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.Original Article