Friends, the time has come to share this STUNNER of a new recipe with you.
Say hello to these SPICY Jackfruit Tacos that come together in less than 45 minutes in 1 pan! Huzzah!
The base for the tacos is jackfruit, which is rinsed, sorted, and chopped. The flavor comes in waves from onion, garlic, lime, chipotle peppers in adobo, and smoky spices.
The key to this recipe is infusing tons of flavor, adding enough moisture on the front end so the jackfruit “marinates” while cooking, and then turning up the heat near the end so you get a bit of a caramelized effect. Major swoon!
Once it’s cooked, it’s time to dig. We went with corn tortillas, refried black beans, pepitas, cilantro, cabbage, and hot sauce.
We hope you LOVE this dish! It’s:
Easy to make
& Insanely delicious
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and tag a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
Spicy Jackfruit Tacos (1-Pot Meal!)
Spicy Vegan Jackfruit Tacos made in 1-pan in about 30 minutes! An insanely delicious, easy-to-make filling that's perfect for tacos, taco salads, burritos, nachos, and more!
Author: Minimalist Baker
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
Gluten-Free, Mexican-Inspired, Vegan
Does it keep?
cans jackfruit in water or brine
(NOT in syrup)
avocado or coconut oil
(if avoiding oil, sub water)
white or yellow onion
ground smoked paprika
(or maple syrup or organic brown sugar)
chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
(use more or less to preferred spice level)
(plus more as needed)
FOR SERVING optional
- Corn or flour tortillas
- Shredded red cabbage
- Lime wedges
can refried pinto or black beans
- Extra Hot Habanero Sauce
- Thoroughly rinse and drain jackfruit. Then begin sorting. The pieces come in chunks or triangle shapes. Cut off the center "core" portion of the jackfruit that's tougher in texture and separate it from the rest of the fruit. Then chop into smaller pieces. For the remaining portion of the jackfruit that appears more stringy, use your hands to pull into small shredded pieces. You're basically trying to get the jackfruit into small, shredded/chopped pieces. Rinse the jackfruit once more in a colander, drain, and thoroughly dry.
Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add oil of choice, onion, and garlic. Sauté for 4-5 minutes or until onions are golden brown and softened.
Add jackfruit, salt, paprika, cumin, chili powder, coconut sugar (starting with 2 Tbsp // or less if making a smaller batch), chipotle peppers and their adobo sauce, coconut aminos, water, and lime juice. Stir to coat and reduce heat to low – medium. Cover and cook for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- For finer texture, as your jackfruit is cooking, use your spoon to mash the jackfruit into smaller pieces, or use two forks to shred the jackfruit as it cooks down. This will create a more realistic “meat-like” texture.
- Once the jackfruit has been properly simmered, taste and adjust flavor as needed, adding more paprika or cumin for smokiness, chili powder for heat, chipotle pepper or adobo sauce for spice, coconut sugar or maple syrup for sweetness, coconut aminos for saltiness / depth of flavor, or lime for acidity.
- Turn up heat to medium-high and cook for 2-3 more minutes to get a little extra color/texture. Then remove from heat.
- Enjoy as is, on top of salads or nachos, or in enchiladas, burritos, tacos! We prefer corn tortillas, refried black beans, jackfruit, cabbage, cilantro, and hot sauce!
- Store leftover jackfruit up to 4-5 days in the refrigerator or 1 month in the freezer. To reheat, heat on a skillet until hot and moisten with more water if it appears dry.
*Can sub 1-2 Tbsp (15-30 ml) tamari or soy sauce per 1/4 cup coconut aminos if not GF. Tamari tends to have a stronger flavor and is more salty, so we recommend starting low and working your way up.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated without optional ingredients.
*Adapted from our BBQ Jackfruit Sandwiches.
- Calories: 148
- Fat: 7.6g
- Saturated fat: 0.9g
- Sodium: 808.4mg
- Carbohydrates: 19.4g
- Fiber: 4.9g
- Sugar: 10.2g
- Protein: 1.2g