There’s not much better than a sandwich, am I right? Totally customizable + nearly no rules to follow. Most sandwiches go something like this; bread + condiment + meat + cheese + veggies + bread. But what if you don’t want physical meat, but want the meaty texture and flavor? These pulled BBQ jackfruit sandwiches are the perfect solution for that!
Jackfruit mimics any pulled meat texture, but is whipped up in wayyyy less time. Make sure you buy canned jackfruit that’s in water or its natural juices. Don’t buy the giant, whole jackfruit you may see at any specialty market – unless you have experience cutting that monster apart! I always buy mine at Trader Joes because it’s super cheap and easy to deal with!
RELATED: BBQ Sloppy Joes
This comes together in about 20 minutes and will satisfy the king and queens of the meat sweats. Kids will love it too!
Pulled BBQ Jackfruit Sandwiches Save Print Prep time Cook time Total time Author: Fork & Beans Serves: 4 Pulled BBQ Jackfruit Sandwiches Ingredients
- 1 can of jackfruit (from Trader Joe’s)
- 1 c. BBQ sauce of choice
- 4 toasted buns
Toppings of choice (optional):
- cabbage slaw
- sliced onions
- Drain and rinse the canned jackfruit.
- Heat a large pan over medium/low heat.
- Transfer the drained jackfruit to the pan and heat up for a couple of minutes.
- Add your favorite BBQ sauce and simmer on low until you can easily shred the jackfruit with a fork.
- Remove from heat and shred the jackfruit and assemble your sandwich! Use more BBQ sauce for slathering onto your sandwiches if desired.
RELATED: Homemade BBQ Potato Chips
This post has been written by Hilaire Baumgartner, FnB contributor
Hilaire is the blogger behind the site Baumass Foods, where she makes and eats plant-based foods that are the bomb. When she is not in the kitchen or drinking kombucha, she can be found in the gym or chasing after her son. Follow Hilaire on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, and Twitter!
- Homemade Vegan BBQ Sandwiches
- BBQ Cauliflower Salad
- Western BBQ Veggie Burgers
- BBQ Chickpea Sloppy Joes