So, now that we’ve conquered our fear of fennel (I mean, seriously, what do you do with this ridiculous-looking licorice bomb?), it’s time to move into uncharted, even more delicious territory: salads.
This salad is, in a word, irresistible. We dare you to take just one bite. Let us show you how this 30-minute side or entrée is made!
This start of this salad show is the fennel – curry–roasted fennel to be exact.
If you fear the pungent, licorice-y taste of fennel, roasting it in a little curry powder and salt takes it to tasty town. (But let’s be real – any vegetable roasted in this curry powder is out-of-this-world delicious. What do you expect? So, much, flavor.)
The next step? Dressing.
It was hard to decide on just one, but for simplicity’s sake, we suggest the Rosemary Tahini Dressing from this Amazing Super Cleansing Slaw. The flavors just work.
But, if you’re looking to venture outside of your tahini comfort zone, try this 6-ingredient Vegan Tzatziki! We found that it melded really well with the complex flavor of the curry by adding a nice cooling, refreshing finish. You can’t go wrong either way.
Once your fennel is roasted, it’s assembly time. For even more protein, fiber, and crunch, we opted for a batch of our Actually Crispy Baked Chickpeas. To save time, you could also just use cooked (unbaked) chickpeas or grab some already baked at the store.
We hope you LOVE this salad! It’s:
Easy to make
& Insanely delicious
This would make the perfect side to bring along to dinner parties or serve alongside mains like these Mushroom Black Bean Burgers or Sun-Dried Tomato Chickpea Burgers. Leaving the chickpeas off this salad makes it more of a side for two to four people (in our opinion). But to make it an entrée for two, add the chickpeas (or cooked quinoa!) for extra heartiness.
For more hearty salads, be sure to check out our Loaded Kale Salad, Sweet Potato Avocado Salad, Curry-Roasted Vegetable & Lentil Salad, Mexican-Inspired Salad Cups with Quinoa & Black Beans, and the Abundance Kale Salad with Savory Tahini Dressing.
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
Curry Roasted Fennel Salad with Rosemary Tahini Dressing Print Friendly Version Prep time Cook time Total time Insanely delicious 30-minute salad with crispy, tender curry-roasted fennel. Topped with red bell pepper and a creamy tahini rosemary dressing. Add crispy chickpeas for an optional boost of protein, fiber, and crunch! Author: Minimalist Baker Recipe type: Side, Entrée Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten-Free, Grain-Free Serves: 2 Ingredients FENNEL
- 1 bulb fennel (230 g), fronds and stems removed, thinly sliced with a knife or mandolin
- 1 Tbsp (7 g) curry powder
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) avocado or melted coconut oil (if avoiding oil, sub water)
- Pinch sea salt
- 5 cups (275 g) salad greens (mixed greens, kale, spinach, etc.)
- 1 red bell pepper (119 g), seeds and stems removed, thinly sliced
- optional: 1 batch Actually Crispy Chickpeas (or plain cooked chickpeas)
- 1/4 cup (60 g) tahini
- 1 1/2 Tbsp (22 ml) lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp (3 g) freshly minced rosemary
- 2-3 cloves garlic (6-9 g), minced
- 1 1/2 Tbsp (22 ml) coconut aminos
- Water to thin (5-8 Tbsp or 75-90ml)
- Pinch sea salt
- If serving with crispy chickpeas, follow the link for instructions and prepare now. Otherwise, preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 C) and arrange fennel on a large baking sheet. Sprinkle with curry powder, coconut oil (or water), and sea salt and toss to combine. Spread in an even layer.
- Roast fennel for about 20 minutes or until tender, golden brown, and slightly crispy on the edges. Set aside.
- In the meantime, prepare dressing by adding all ingredients (starting with 5 Tbsp water) to a small blender (such as a Magic Bullet) or a mixing bowl and blending or whisking to combine.
- Taste and adjust flavor as needed, adding more garlic for zing, lemon for acidity, apple cider vinegar for tanginess, or rosemary for herbal flavor.
- To serve, arrange greens of choice on a platter or serving bowl and top with red bell pepper, roasted fennel, chickpeas (optional), and any additional garnishes, such as fresh rosemary or lemon slices (optional).
- Serve with dressing on the side. This salad serves 4 as a side, or with the chickpeas, it’s easily an entrée for 2.
- Best when fresh. Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator up to 4 days. The dressing will keep in the refrigerator up to 6-7 days.
Notes *Nutrition information is a rough estimate based on 1/4 of the recipe calculated with the oil, without optional ingredients (such as chickpeas), and with all of the tahini dressing.
*For a more cooling, lighter dressing, consider replacing the tahini dressing with this 6-Ingredient Vegan Tzatziki.
*This salad serves 4 as a side, or with the (optional) chickpeas, it’s easily an entrée for 2.
*Dressing recipe from our Super Cleansing Slaw. Nutrition Information Serving size: 1/4 of recipe Calories: 192 Fat: 13.6 g Saturated fat: 1.9 g Carbohydrates: 15.4 g Sugar: 6.3 g Sodium: 183 mg Fiber: 6.7 g Protein: 5.6 g 3.5.3226